Monday 19 August 2013

Pattern Review: Ruthies Picnic Dress by FooFoo Threads



PATTERN: This is a PDF pattern by FooFoo Threads (FFT). Ruthies Picnic Dress with retro ruffled bodice.

WHAT: A ruffle bodice dress with vintage charm, which has aspects of the fashions in the 40's and 50's. Ruthies dress features a tuxedo style bib and unique pockets with a bow, also a double layered skirt for extra body and twirling. It also has options to add a ruched ruffle along the bottom of the top skirt. And the waist is cinched in with a sash that ties into a beautiful bow at the back.


SIZE: I made a size 2T. This pattern has a large size range at 6 months through to 8 years.

FABRIC: I used cream embroidered lace for the ruffles, which I love and added a polkadot ribbon to the bottom of the top skirt to match the tuxedo bib. I love this swings/kite fabric (sorry can't remember the name) which is complemented with green gingham and red polkadot. I love to make something that is pretty but not pink.

PATTERN PIECES: There are pattern pieces for the bodice, lining, pockets and ruffles with measurements for the skirts, sash and lower ruffles. All drafted for a perfect match.

ILLUSTRATIONS/INSTRUCTIONS: I've come to know FFT patterns as having lots of attention to detail, not making an assumptions and making it very easy for a beginner to learn and complete every step with ease. Intermediate sewers are able to skip ahead as needed and won't need to print all the pages.



SPECIAL TECHNIQUES: This dress has a few intermediate steps that are walked through step by step so don't be scared. Just take your time and you'll be fine. I chose not to make button holes for the back placket and instead used snaps which are a personal preference.

CONCLUSION: I always know when I make a FFT dress I'll get something stunning and unique. This dress is no exception. It fits perfectly, fully lined and great attention to detail. And with the modern vintage look, I can't get enough.
FFT patterns are well tested and have great support if you have a problem. I would highly recommend this pattern and any of their others. Find this pattern here.

Sew glad you stopped by :-)
Brenda

* I am not paid for reviews nor receive anything for doing them, I'm just providing honest feedback for other mum's looking at buying pdf patterns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment